Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Bad Food, Self-Imposed Intervention


This actually happened.

So, we made an impromptu, albeit not official, decision to start eating better. I know this has been needed for quite some time but have been avoiding it and making excuses for just as long. Cold weather, time, womanly issues, you name it. I've found a reason not to make it happen.

Last week, the very next day after making the decision with Paul, I was confronted almost immediately with a challenge. And I failed. I had taken the kids to McDonalds because it was one of those on-the-go, non-stop days. We had little food in the house (and by that, you know I mean there was little food in there that I wanted to put up the effort to make or bribe my kids into eating). So, I took them to McDonald's. I won't even tell you what each kid ate. I do draw the line with how much I allow you to judge me :) Wait, that's not even the worst part.

We get home, the kids dig in, rush to get homework done, we watch some basketball and all that other stuff that borders on complete parental irresponsibility on my part. Guilty. Still, not such a bad story....

So, as I was cleaning up the McDonald's wrappers, so lazy that I didn't even take the time to put their food on actual plates, I noticed TJ stayed true to his eating form and left a small remnant of his sandwich uneaten. I was so hungry and it looked so good. SO good!!! And it's not even a kind of sandwich that I like to eat. I wanted to just eat the rest of it right there, but Paul was helping clean up too, so I couldn't just eat it there in front of him and have him confront my culinary waywardness!!!

So, here's the worst part. I'm so embarrassed to admit it but it happened with little to no regret at the time of doing it. I took the wrapper with the food inside, crumpled it up into an easy-to-confiscate ball, put it in my pocket and went into our bedroom....and then our bathroom....and I ate it. I ATE IT! In the dark, nonetheless. I felt like a squirrel gnawing on a hidden nut he just uncovered after a long winter. And then I threw the wrapper away under the sink the bathroom too.

OKAY!!!!!!! There. That's off my chest.

All that to say, I've recognized my need for an intervention from my bad eating. After taking a break from my first attempt at eating right and trying to get back on it, I ate something questionable yesterday and when Paul asked me about it and gave me the dissatisfied look, I actually said "God told me it was okay.....YOLO." So...apparently I have the need for more interventions than just the eating one. I get it.

That's why I've decided to start blogging about this again. Because having people read it and keep me accountable helps me out. And just a few minutes after posting something on Facebook about eating better, I already had a friend step up and offer to be part of an exercise support group for me! *Thanks, Derek! :) I'm not promising perfection, I'm beyond that. But I will be sharing with you some new things I'm trying, where I'm struggling or failing, where I am succeeding and learning and all that comes along with my journey to get back into shape.

The half marathon is just ONE month away. The most I have run so far is 3.28 miles. I use the term "run" loosely. It may have been an over exaggerated walk. I don't know. But I have one month to bust my chops and get into the swing of better and healthier living. So, I'm asking you to come along with me again as I take this journey and tell me your own stories as well.

Let's do this!!!! In parting, I'm leaving you with a pic of today's lunch, compliments of my husband. See you again soon, joy killers.




No comments: