Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Hummus Sandwich Heaven

I don't think I've ever blogged about a sandwich before. I don't know why I haven't either, because I LOVE me a good sandwich. But tonight, I had a first...a request (even if it was maybe just a joke) to blog about a delicious sandwich known as (drum roll...) the hummus sandwich. Thanks for the inspiration, Amy! :)

This may be something all you healthy eaters have always known about, but remember I am fairly new to the whole healthy eating gig. My idea of healthy used to be not eating ALL the french fries from McDonalds....that's kind of a joke, but not really. I didn't used to even know what hummus was. Now, I've eaten so much of it that I actually had to take a hummus hiatus...or better known to me as a hummaitus. I'm getting off track here, I can see that...

I make this at the coffee shop I work at and I don't think I'm doing a disservice to the place by sharing with you how it's made. Anyone with eyes can look at their sandwich and identify each ingredient. It's not that hard. But I will say, if you want the best one made for you, you need to come in to the coffee shop and visit over the lunch hour. You can make it at home but you won't get the kind of smiles you do when you come see us at work :)

Also, just a random side note .... pretzel chips or veggie straws go VERY good with it as a side, opposed to the potato chips in the picture below.


So, here's the deal...

You HAVE to have a good bread, a good multi-grain is my personal favorite. The photo shows it with wheat bread which I think is fine too. Whatever it is, it should be both soft AND healthy!

Spread the inside with hummus. Classic hummus is that best for my taste, but there are several other options for hummus if you want a unique taste or to just try something different. I'm down with that, I won't judge. On one side, sprinkle a small handful of dried cranberries and top with your choice of cheese. Provolone is good, but use what you like. On the opposite spread, thinly slice a green apple and place it on the hummus.

Now all you have to do is fill the rest. For my sandwich, I put cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce (spring mix, spinach or red leaf, not iceberg...I hate that stuff). It's surprisingly delicious, even for those of you who aren't sure about the taste of hummus. It's a sandwich you can experiment with for different tastes...maybe switch the provolone cheese out for some pepper jack for a little bit of spice to counter the sweet taste of the apple, or like I said earlier, try a different flavor of hummus. Better yet, make your own hummus!

All in all, this is a good option for a sandwich for those of you who are trying to eat a little bit better. And if the carbs in the bread bother you, make it into a salad and throw some almonds on it. Either way, I know it's gotta be better than a Big Mac!

8 comments:

Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

YUM! I don't know why, but I'd never thought of putting hummas on a sandwhich lol! Thanks for posting the recipe :D

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

I love hummus and this sammy looks tasty! I love really garlicky hummus on sweet spelt bread. yum!!!

rotner ramblings said...

So eager to try this. Looks delicious. I just found your blog via
New Nostalgia. Mmmmm....

Patricia said...

YUM!!

Kasey said...

Thank you! I'm so excited for you all to try it! I was surprised how much I liked it...and I feel good after eating it too! :) Thanks for visiting!

Patricia said...

I am also a big fan of Amy.

Ivan said...

There is something so comforting about a sandwich. No matter how delicious ingredients might be, they turn 100 times better when they're hugged snugly between the convenience of two pieces of delicious bread.
This recipe is certainly no exception.
I'm definitely stealing this recipe, and will more than likely be a common addition to my Sunday brunch repertoire!
Thanks for sharing. :D

Kasey said...

Well said, Ivan! :) I hope you like it. Nothing better than a good sandwich, that's for sure!